twitter




Sunday, May 23, 2010

Why does my throat close up when I try to sing? It didn't used to happen and now I can't sing Happy Birthday!

This didn't used to happen until I started concentrating on my vocals. I sometimes sound flat, and when I pick up the note higher it sounds too high. It seems like I have been getting worse at singing ever since I started. Any tips?
Why does my throat close up when I try to sing? It didn't used to happen and now I can't sing Happy Birthday!
Hello! =)





I would advise not trying to sing higher or lower than you can comfortably. You can work on the higher notes by singing scales or singing softly in a comfortable manner. The secret is to work on the high notes that are most comfortable for you so that you open up the notes above it. Eventually, a few notes will get easier and easier to sing and you'll be able to sing higher!





Try not to strain, because that creates poor neuromuscular memory. If you strain for the high notes, after a while your body starts thinking that's what it needs to do when you go higher. You don't want to start making bad habits, and you want to create new good habits =)





Scales are great for your voice, they don't even have to be overly complex, just fun and all jumpy. Just make sure you don't strain or reach for the higher notes, they will come with time. Doing this has helped me with my range, and I have added over an octave to my range in about six months. Simply vocalizing and singing throughout your range also helps your notes sound better on pitch.





I hope this helped! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment